Fun Ice Cream Facts
Did You Know?
- Ice cream is good for you. Its base ingredient is milk, which is loaded with healthy vitamins and minerals.
- Americans consume an average 48 pints of ice cream per person, per year.
- It takes about 50 licks to finish one scoop of ice cream.
- In 1984, Ronald Reagan designated July as National Ice Cream Month and the third Sunday in July as National Ice Cream Day.
- 90% of the nation’s population consumes ice cream.
- Records kept by a Chatham Street, New York, merchant show that President George Washington spent approximately $200 for ice cream during the summer of 1790.
- One of the most important ingredients in ice cream is air. Without it, ice cream would be as hard as a rock.
- Regular ice cream has at least 10% milk fat, premium ice cream has 12% and super premium ice cream has 16%.
- Franklin Roosevelt served ice cream to King George.
- According to Guinness World Records, the largest ice cream pyramid was made in August of 2002; made up of 22 layers, 3,894 scoops and weighed 1,005 pounds. It was made by Carvel.
- According to Guinness World Records, the largest ice cream cone (as of January 2011) was over 9 feet tall. It was achieved at an event in Italy.
International Dairy Foods Association
National Ice Cream Retailers Association